Caister Beach is one of the most popular areas of the Haven Park, and ‘Sand Banks’ is lucky enough to be situated front line to the beach, separated only by the protective sand-dunes. This area of the park, whilst part of the Haven complex is a few minutes walk away from the main entertainment area which you can you use if you wish, passes are available to buy separately. Or, as this is a quieter area you can remain totally separate from the ‘family fun’ areas and do completely your own thing at your own pace. This is an excellent spot for anyone who enjoys beach fishing.
The Norfolk Coast is famed for its stunning beaches, idyllic fishing villages and wonderful seafood. Stretching from Hunstanton in the north to Gorleston in the south you will find some of the most beautiful stretches of beach in East Anglia, with miles of soft sand even at high tide. Our beaches are perfect for lazing the days away in summer, and just as ideal for a brisk stroll at any time of the year.
Caister-on-Sea is a small seaside resort which boasts wide sandy gently sloping beaches backed by grassy dunes. The town of Caister has everything you will need for your holiday, 2 supermarkets, a wide range of take away food, restaurants, pubs and small independent shops. Just 3 miles north is the busier holiday resort of Great Yarmouth with all its extensive traditional seaside attractions.
- Great Yarmouth is a traditional seaside resort, rich in maritime history with glorious sandy beaches, two piers, a funfair, circus, cinema, museums, and of course the ‘golden mile’.
- Horsey is just a 10 minute drive from us, where we are lucky enough to have a colony of seals living on the beach. It’s a lovely walk and a sight not to be missed.
- The Norfolk Broads are just 10 minutes away by car. Spend a day exploring by boat or relax on the riverbank and do some fishing. Part of the National Parks family, the Broads are a ‘must see’ part of Norfolk.
- Norwich is just 30 minutes away by car, visit the medieval city with it’s castle, cathedral and mix of old cobbled streets and modern new shopping complexes. For wet days try the Riverside entertainment complex with bowling, swimming and cinemas.
Suggestions of where to Eat
- Caister Castle Carvery, Caister - Tel: 01493 728933
- Filby Bridge Restaurant, Filby - Tel: 01493 368142
- Horse & Groom P.H, Tunstead - Tel: 01603 737555
- Imperial Hotel, Great Yarmouth - Tel: 01493 842000
- Kings Arms, Fleggburgh - Tel: 01493 368333
- The Ship Inn, South Walsham - Tel: 01603 270049
- BeWILDerwood – Horning – An award-winning, forest full of family fun in Horning on the Norfolk Broads. BeWILDerwood is based on the magical children’s books written by local author and creator of BeWILDerwood, Tom Blofeld. The whole family can spend hours running, whizzing and clambering on the sustainable wooden play structures, from aerial ropewalks to climbing walls, balancing logs and muddled mazes in a beautiful forest setting.
- East Ruston Old Vicarage Garden – East Ruston – A privately owned gardens that comprising of several different areas such as:- The Exotic Garden, Dutch Gardens, Kings Walk, Rose Garden, Woodland Garden and much more. Throughout the garden you will see many rare and unusual plants growing. Tea shop on site.
- Fairhaven Woodland & Water Garden – South Walsham – 130 acres of cultivated, wild and natural plantings, a haven for wildlife enthusiasts with nearly 4 miles of woodland pathways to explore and encourage the child within. Boat trips & tea shop on site.
- The Southern Comfort River Cruiser – Horning – The Southern Comfort is a double-deck paddle boat purpose built for the Broads with a capacity of 100 passengers for public trips or private hire. Our boat is a luxury river cruiser which runs regular trips from the beautiful village of Horning, along the River Bure through the village and out to Ranworth Broad and back, passing lovely old thatched houses, windmills and Norfolk reed beds.
- Thrigby Hall Wildlife Gardens – Thrigby – At home in the landscaped grounds of Thrigby Hall is a special collection of rare animals from Asia. You will find endangered tigers, huge crocodiles, noisy gibbons and many more exciting animals. A unique network of raised walkways allows you to get up close and personal with these magnificent creatures. The park is wheelchair and pushchair friendly and benefits from free parking, picnic areas, café, gift shop and play areas to suit children of different age groups.
- Tide & Time Museum – Great Yarmouth – Explore the museum, housed in a converted Victorian herring curing works, and take an exciting journey into the past. Discover Great Yarmouth’s fascinating history, its rich maritime and fishing heritage and some of the colourful characters who made their living from the sea. Wander through a Victorian ‘Row’ and see inside a fisherman’s home. Experience the heady atmosphere of a 1950s quayside, take the wheel of a coastal Drifter and hear gripping tales of wreck and rescue on the high seas.Follow Great Yarmouth’s transformation from a sandbank to the present day, through times of boom and bust and of war and peace. Relax in the spacious courtyard with delicious refreshments beneath a spectacular canopy of sails, surrounded by historic fishing boats. Lively hands-on displays, games, puzzles, free audio guides, film shows and children’s activities bring the great story of Great Yarmouth vividly to life.
- Wroxham Barns – Tunstead – Norfolk’s award-winning visitor attraction set in the stunning countryside close to the Norfolk Broads. There’s so much to see and so much to do, whether you want a relaxing day with friends, a fun time with the family or a chance to indulge in some retail therapy, you’ll find it here. Come and see our talented craftspeople and chat to them while they work, or browse our shops which offer everything from unique gifts and stylish clothes to fun toys and delicious foods, before taking a break for refreshment in our Restaurant or Farmyard Cafe serving wholesome dishes and popular afternoon teas. Visit Junior Farm with a daily programme of activities where you can groom, cuddle and bottle-feed our animals.
Please note area header images are available to buy as prints from Abby C Photography